Tuesday 25 October 2011

Welcome to Africa!

I am now in my second day in Lusaka having landed at 6-20am on Monday morning. I was greeted by temperatures already in the high teens and once through pasport control and customs, by the country Manager Peter Manda. For the first couple of nights I am to be put up in a hotel prior to moving on to self catering type accommodation. The hotel has been very good and I am making the most of it (picture below). I have had a couple of trips around the city and what strikes me already is the difference between those that have and those that have not - very pronounced.

Monday was the 47th anniversary of Zambia's independence from Britain and coincided with a celebration for the new govrnment of 1 month. As a national holiday most people celebrated including a large party around the small pool here at the hotel. Very high expectations of this new government paricularly around a more equitable share of the revenues from mineral extraction.  Everyone I have met so far is interested in politics, China are a major player here as shown by the Chinese sub titles on bill boards. Obviously a booming trade in counterfeight car parts as well going by some of the banners I have seen tying to stop it. No motor bikes here that I have seen or scooters of any shape.

Have had a first meeting with those that I will be working with and the team supporting them. First lesson learnt - never underestimate the effect  a smple thanks for the coffee (or whatever) can make.

Tomorrow I move into my permanent lodging and start work on planning out the next 8 weeks. Whereas I thought there were 6 partners there are 12 and one of them apparently is sharing my time with the Forum (I think they have some accountancy issues/questions - be ready to help out guys in Newport!!). Finding alternative funding is key and we start with that priority. However to get a funder to dip into their pockets requires a clear vision, strategy and plan with clear support and buy-in from the partners so I am starting there. Have already identifed some potential funding opportunities via the web.

This as quite a bit longer than I intended but already feel I can help here. Lets hope the feeling lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment